Re: Windows ASM and DBCA in 10g

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 22:08:43 +0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> > >
> > > "Chris" <christian.antognini_at_trivadis.com> wrote in message

> > > Er, "ASM". No plus. Bugger. I will test this and let you know how I get
> on!
> > >
> > > I found no reference to a name requirement at all in any of the
> > > documentation...
> > >
> > > Is there an emoticon for 'gritting one's teeth whilst maintaining a
> > > steely-eyed look of grim determination'??
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > HJR
> >
> > I've just tried the following...
> >
> > a) created asm service
> >
> > oradim.exe -new -asmsid +am1 -startmode manual -spfile
> >
> > (I chose +am1 just because of the other posts on the thread)
>
> Connor: the only thing you've done here which I haven't, unless I'm much
> mistaken, is to call your instance +AM1 (Ay Em One?). I wonder why you
> picked that name, since the earlier post said that DBCA was hard-wired to
> look for an instance called +ASM?
>

> > b) created pfile
> >
> > background_dump_dest=C:\oracle\admin\+am1\bdump
> > core_dump_dest=C:\oracle\admin\+am1\cdump
> > user_dump_dest=C:\oracle\admin\+am1\udump
> > compatible=10.1.0.2.0
> > large_pool_size=8388608
> > shared_pool_size=64m
> > remote_login_passwordfile=EXCLUSIVE
> > instance_type = asm
> > large_pool_size = 12m
> >
> > (nothing particularly special here - just started with a previous v10
> > init.ora and stripped out stuff)
> >
> > c) started services OracleCSService, Oracle10TNSListener
> >
> > ( only because I have them set as manual normally so they don't chew up
> > my laptop resources)
> >
> > d) started ASM instance
> >
> > SQL> startup pfile=c:\oracle\admin\+am1\scripts\init.ora
> > ASM instance started
> >
> > Total System Global Area 134217728 bytes
> > Fixed Size 787808 bytes
> > Variable Size 133429920 bytes
> > Database Buffers 0 bytes
> > Redo Buffers 0 bytes
> > ORA-15110: no diskgroups mounted
> >
> > e) then fired up DBCA. Obviously I don't have any disk groups, but the
> > DBCA did let me get to picking from the (empty) list of disk groups,
> > whereas before steps (a)=>(d) above had been done, it told me there was
> > no ASM instance
>
> Dare I ask what happened if you create the disk groups manually, and *then*
> fire up DBCA? Perhaps that is what I'm doing wrong: trying to do too much
> manually.
> The lack of documentation on the subject is driving me nuts, frankly.
>
> Regards
> HJR
I chose +am1 only because I was following the initial post of Chris's about a leading '+'. But I didn't want to go with the default name in case I got lucky with it being a special case.

But other than that, it just went as expected...albeit I didn't actually go ahead and create disk group and then the database. When I get Vmware installed on the laptop I'll give it a "proper" go.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

Coming Soon! "Oracle Insight - Tales of the OakTable"

"GIVE a man a fish and he will eat for a day. But TEACH him how to fish,
and...he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"