Re: Fastest way to move files across unix servers

From: jthvedt <jthvedt_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2004 13:03:48 -0700

harvey_ladybug_at_hotmail.com (MK) wrote in message news:<b8486b73.0406241230.4056028b_at_posting.google.com>...
> I am migrating a database from one server to the other.
> OS - AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.2
> Oracle - 8.1.7 to 9.2
> OS & DB block size - 32 bit to 64 bit.
>
> The new server does not have a tape drive. I have to do export/import.
> The total file size will be about 25Gig.
>
> What is the best way to copy these across? I tried ftp (4 minutes /
> MB) and rcp (1 minute per MB). Either is not a good solution.
>
> What other choices do I have?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Manjula

Is there any way to just mount the old storage on the new server? That way, you don't have to squeeze it through a network connection. For example, since this is AIX we're talking about, you may have SSA storage. Extend your loop(s) to the new server; umount; varyoffvg; importvg; mount; etc.

If your storage is on a SAN, well, even easier.

I recently did a similar migration (new server, AIX 4.3.3 to 5.2), but I stayed at 32-bit Oracle & AIX, and stayed on 8.1.7, so all I had to do was mount the storage and go. Received on Fri Jun 25 2004 - 15:03:48 CDT