Windows ASM and DBCA in 10g

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 20:23:11 +1000

Anyone else encountered a problem with the DBCA on Windows, whereby it doesn't notice the prior existence of a manually-created ASM instance?

I've got myself an ASM instance:

SQL> startup mount
ASM instance started

Total System Global Area 100663296 bytes

Fixed Size                   787648 bytes
Variable Size              99875648 bytes
Database Buffers                  0 bytes
Redo Buffers                      0 bytes
ASM diskgroups mounted

I then invoke DBCA, get to screen 6 of 14 (this is a custom database), select the ASM option, click next, and get the message,

"There are no ASM instances running on this machine", whereupon it gives me the option to create a new ASM instance. Which is fine, and works too. But why won't it recognise that an ASM instance actually does already exist?

(PS, before anyone asks, I realise I could do the entire job through DBCA and it would all work fine. GUIs spend their lives hiding how things really work, however, and in this case, I want to see how ASM works when everything is done by hand).

Anyone ever got this working? Is there some mystical incantation I've forgotten to utter between creating the ASM instance and running DBCA?

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Jun 24 2004 - 05:23:11 CDT