Re: Windows ASM and DBCA in 10g

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: 27 Jun 2004 21:34:57 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<40daab72$0$18670$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Anyone else encountered a problem with the DBCA on Windows, whereby it
> doesn't notice the prior existence of a manually-created ASM instance?
>
> I've got myself an ASM instance:
>
> SQL> startup mount
> ASM instance started
>
> Total System Global Area 100663296 bytes
> Fixed Size 787648 bytes
> Variable Size 99875648 bytes
> Database Buffers 0 bytes
> Redo Buffers 0 bytes
> ASM diskgroups mounted
>
> I then invoke DBCA, get to screen 6 of 14 (this is a custom database),
> select the ASM option, click next, and get the message,
>
> "There are no ASM instances running on this machine", whereupon it gives me
> the option to create a new ASM instance. Which is fine, and works too. But
> why won't it recognise that an ASM instance actually does already exist?
>
> (PS, before anyone asks, I realise I could do the entire job through DBCA
> and it would all work fine. GUIs spend their lives hiding how things really
> work, however, and in this case, I want to see how ASM works when everything
> is done by hand).
>
> Anyone ever got this working? Is there some mystical incantation I've
> forgotten to utter between creating the ASM instance and running DBCA?
>
> Regards
> HJR
The fact that no-one has even tried to reply to this perhaps indicates that not a lot of people are doing ASM as yet, and that maybe I ought to concentrate on other, more important, areas.

By way of a bit of an update, however: I found a reference on Metalink to DBCA searching for ASM instances on port 3521 instead of 1521. Suggested workarounds involved setting local_listener for the ASM instance.

But it didn't work around for me, and I am still stuck with DBCA on Windows AND Linux not recognising the existence of any ASM instance they don't themselves actually create (ie, any that I create manually myself). Even though I can actually go further than I did in my original post, and create a fully-functional database using CLI commands that uses the storage provided by the ASM instance that DBCA insists doesn't exist!

Either I'm doing something hopeless wrong, or there's a 'feature' in the way DBCA works that needs looking at!!

Again: I would ask, if anyone has ever created their own ASM instance manually, and their own disk groups manually, and then got DBCA to create a database using that ASM disk group, please let me know your secret.

Regards
HJR Received on Sun Jun 27 2004 - 23:34:57 CDT