Re: tough choices

From: Jean-David Beyer <jdbeyer_at_exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:04:37 -0400

Ian wrote:

> Just because it's installed and works doesn't mean that you
> are compliant with your software license.
>
> I guess that DPF is free, too. Oh, and if we're ignoring licensing
> terms, DB2 is also free. So, I guess DB2 is much more cost effective
> than Oracle.

DB2 is kind-of free. You can download DB2 V8.1 Personal Developers Edition from IBM's web site for free (or cough up $25 and buy the CD-ROMs) and it runs just fine (especially after upgrading to V8.1.5). And as long as you use it solely to develop and test applications (and do not put it into production) you are very likely complying with the software license that comes with it.

Now if you put it into production without getting a bigger more appropriate license, you will probably be violating the license that comes with it. And IBM might never find out; though they might. No CIO of a large corporation could allow this to happen because of the tarnished reputation his company would acquire (not to mention costly court judgements). And private individuals will sleep better if they know they are not stealing.

--
   .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
   /V\                             Registered Machine   241939.