Re: import 8i database exp file into 9i

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 17:38:04 GMT

Austin wrote:
> Hi DBAs,
>
> I am in the process of importing a .dmp file into my newly created 9i
> (9.2.0.5) database. This dmp file was created from an 8i (8.1.7.4) database
> using the 8i export utility. I would like to know the following:
>
> 1) Will an 8i export file work for a 9i import utility?

Yes

> 2) I have done a FULL export on my 8i database. Do I still need to "prepare"
> my 9i database before (FULL) import by creating tablespaces/datafiles,
> users, etc? Or will the import create them for me?
I usually create the tablespaces and users (oracle recommends it when using exp/imp in the migration doc's) If not imp will try and create the tablespaces by placing datafiles in the same dir structure as where it came from. If there are a lot of users then I will sometimes let imp create them, but usually do it myself.

> 3) Is it ok to edit the dmp file (changing paths of datafiles for instance)
> before the import?

never tried it...

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Austin.

hth Received on Wed Jun 23 2004 - 12:38:04 CDT