Re: Converting 8i parallel server to single instance

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:27:53 +1000

"Rakesh" <grora_at_indiatimes.com> wrote in message news:a475f54f.0406230238.570f5150_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi Friends,
> We need to convert our 8.1.7 parallel server setup on solaris to
> single instance. This new instance will be setup on a seperate solaris
> box.
>
> I am looking for some good reference material for this activity. could
> someone guide me on this.
>
> Thanks,
> Rakesh

You probably won't find it, because it's a big job. Your application will (most probably) have been written with Parallel Server in mind, and a lot of little nooks and crannies about how it works will be geared towards that fact. For example, all your tables will, probably, have multiple free list groups. Fine for OPS. Not so hot for full table scan performance in a non-OPS environment.

If you're looking for the init.ora parameters, those are easy enough to find (things like, set parallel_server to FALSE, parallel_server_instances to 1, and so on). There'll be a thread of redo to drop. A set of rollback segments to get rid of. But those are just architectural quibbles. Fact is, OPS is (or probably is, or should have been) built into the very fabric of your applications. So it's going to be a tad more complicated than that.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Jun 23 2004 - 06:27:53 CDT