Re: 9i on Windows 2000 Server Workgroup

From: fu manchu <leondobr_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:54:50 GMT

I probably wasn't clear enough in stating the problem, and for that I apologize. I thought this whole thread was about keeping the listener alive using DHCP on a workgroup. I ignored the bit in your first post about using a fixed IP address because that's a solution I don't want to try until I turn a few shades more purple (purpler?) from frustration. Nowadays nearly all workgroups use DHCP, some network admins won't allow you to use anything else, so I assumed that was understood, which was my error.

I've been running several instances of Oracle 9i on three machines using DHCP on a domain (where I can't get a static IP address) for over a year with no problems. I assume that's because the listener can always find the info from the domain DNS. I know that the Oracle installer works okay in this environment with exactly the same Installer setup input I've been using, otherwise I wouldn't have kept on trying for so long on the workgroup.

There isn't a domain DNS on a workgroup and I want to fool the listener somehow into finding the instance. Using a global name with an extension got me a little bit farther on.

So, in summary, I know for sure that you can install and run Oracle 9i on a machine on a domain with an IP assigned by DHCP, and what I want to find out is either that it is categorically impossible to get a listener to find a instance on a workgroup. or a clever workaround to fool the listener into finding it.

I'd be willing to bet that this is exactly the same problem many of the others you've helped encountered. They just weren't as bloody minded about making it work with DHCP on a workgroup. Received on Tue Jun 22 2004 - 20:54:50 CDT