Re: 9i on Windows 2000 Server Workgroup

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 22:21:21 +1000

"fu manchu" <leondobr_at_verizon.net> wrote in message news:fd5gd0t3ogn4mgm7r7pfco8kji75ob60bl_at_4ax.com...
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 01:25:26 GMT, Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Never had a problem - don't even have Domains involved in my ennvironment
so
> >everything is a Workgroup (although have set up in a customer's env
where
> >Domains were the standard so that works as well). I've done this
literally
> >hundreds of times.
> >
> >It has never mattered whether I install the software, create an instance,
or
> >both.
> >
> >The one consistent irritation with W2K is that is will only load the
TCP/IP
> >subsystem if it wants to, based on what it thinks it detects. As a
result,
> >I may not get the little computer network icon on the system tray, or it
> >may only work for MS networking and not TCP/IP.
> >
> >Where you might be running into a problem is that Oracle requires a full
> >fledged TCP/IP stack with a valid address and TCP/IP domain (well,
almost).

> >You need the TCP/IP subsystem installed and, if no other way, have
entries
> >in the /etc/hosts files (fond in C:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc)
> >
> >HTH
> >/Hans
>
> Thank you.
>
> I think this may be on track to what I'm looking for. How do I check
> that I have a full fledged TCP/IP stack with the TCP/IP subsystem
> installed?

What does ipconfig at a command prompt tell you? Can you ping another machine on the network? Can you browse to other machines in your workgroup? Those are usually pretty good signs. Your TCP/IP stack isn't going to be the problem, I strongly suspect.

> When I install Windows 2000 Server, I let it install the default
> network settings and use DHCP for all addresses. (This works fine on a
> domain, probably because the DNS knows this stuff, I guess). Should I
> be using fixed addresses on a workgroup? Any other settings? I'd think
> the hosts file only works so long as DHCP keeps you at the same
> address.

But this stuff is completely crazy. I told you in my first reply: make sure you are NOT using DHCP. I also told you to make sure you can resolve host names, because in a workgroup you are unlikely to have a DNS server doing names resolution for you. Though please don't make the mistake of believing that DNS only works for a domain set up. To remind you:

"Don't rely on 127.0.0.1. Your machine might not be part of a domain, but as part of a workgroup it should have its own, fixed, ip address (no DHCP, please). If there is no DNS service resolving hostnames, it might be problematic to reference things via a machine name like "beast". Try putting in the correct IP address so that no host name resolution is needed."

Was I just getting RSI for no reason when I typed that lot in??

What is particularly completely crazy, and I'm only having a go at you over this because you're about the third person in the last month to try it, is to install a database onto a machine with an IP address that changes! Simply at face value, that is a non-sensical proposition. Domain controllers tend to have fixed IP addresses. Guess why. Default gateways tend to have fixed IP addresses. Guess why. You cannot have essential network services wandering around different IP addresses and expect things to work properly. And the same goes for database services provided to a workgroup, too. Never mind that client-side files such as tnsnames may make reference to those IP addresses (and would thus need updating every time a DHCP lease expires). A lot of Oracle's internals expects a fixed IP address, too (the Intelligent Agent gets upset if the address changes, for example, as does the Management Service).

Sometimes I despair. The number of people (and I don't necessarily include you in this) who lately have posted here "Oracle's too difficult or too buggy"... and actually, it's *them* that's the problem because they don't know how to configure a Windows network (domain or workgroup) properly in the first place.

> The problem really is that I cans start the listener service and get a
> connection, but once I have a connection, the listener stops. The
> connections stays. Then if I restart the listener I can get another
> connection and then the listener stops again. I've done a little
> work-around by going into the listener service properties and telling
> it to always restart on an error,

That's not a work-around. That is a counsel of despair. Set Windows up properly. Then you will find that Oracle works as advertised.

HJR Received on Tue Jun 22 2004 - 07:21:21 CDT