Re: ORA-01547: warning: RECOVER succeeded but OPEN RESETLOGS

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 18 Jun 2004 16:29:14 -0700

"Hemant K Chitale" <hkchital_nospam_at_singnet_nospam.com.sg> wrote in message news:<capma7$12f$1_at_mawar.singnet.com.sg>...
> HJR,
>
> You write
> "The making of a physical alteration to your
> : primary database renders your standby database invalid, such that it needs
> : to be re-created from scratch (one of the major pains-in-the-butt
> regarding
> : standby databases since time immemorial).
> "
>
> The only changes that would actually require rebuilding the Standby would
> be a RESETLOGS or a CLEAR LOG on the primary.
>
> Surely, Oracle provides a mechanism to add the new file into the Standby as
> well ...
> ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE ' ...' AS '...' ;
> so that Recovery can proceed.
> That is why I do in my 8.1.7 database where I have a Standby.
>
> 9i DataGuard uses the "STANDBY_FILE_MANAGEMENT=AUTO" parameter
> but I haven't used 9iDG.
> And I don't have the 8.1.7 documentation to quote from it as to how to use
> ALTER DATABASE CREATE DATAFILE and continue recovery.

Do you have web access with a browser? tahiti.oracle.com, otn.oracle.com and others have most of the documentation. (If anyone has a pointer to V7 docs, I'd be grateful, all my links have gone bad).

You also should get metalink access to see a lot of notes and bugs on this stuff, not to mention for tars when you hit stuff not documented.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://otn.oracle.com/sample_code/products/iportal/htdocs/newsfeed/nfimpl.html