Re: OEM - 9i Windows XP -

From: Jeremy <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 11:38:43 +0100

In article <40d2c1c0$0$25458$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>, Howard J. Rogers says...

> "Jeremy" <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk> wrote in message
> > In article <40d1ed8f$0$6203$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>, Howard J.
> > Rogers says...
> > > But reading your post again, I don't think you want to add a new
> parameter
> > > at all. You just want to add a new value to an existing parameter
> > > (UTL_FILE_DIR takes a comma-separated list of values as its argument,
> rather
> > > in the same way as CONTROL_FILES does).
> > >

> > I already had a setting
> > c:\utlfiledir
> >
> > which was working fine.
> >
> > Then I changed this to
> > c:\utlfiledir, c:\utlfiledir\admin
> >
> > and I wasn't able to write into the latter of the 2 directories.
>
> Ah. Well, it always pays to read the documentation, doesn't it:
>
> "If you are specifying multiple directories, you must repeat the
> UTL_FILE_DIR parameter for each directory on separate lines of the
> initialization parameter file." (from tahiti.oracle.com).
>
> So ignore that rubbish I wrote earlier. :-( Sorry.
>
> In which case, we are back to square one regarding your initial problem, and
> I can only think this is one of those times when you'll have to get your
> hands dirty with a command line edit of your init.ora.
>
> I believe that you're encourage to be creating directory objects and such
> like these days instead of using utl_file_dir, so maybe that's why the
> functionality is a bit lacking.

I may be being thick here but I cannot find the 'init.ora' file for 9i r2 on XP (I recocognise that the name isn't going to be 'init.ora' but I cannot find anything similar. Perhaps I need to go and read your 9i new features e-book again!).

I assume there is a way of editing a file and then forcing oracle to read it when it starts the instance?

--

jeremy