Re: OEM - 9i Windows XP -

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:20:36 +1000

"Jeremy" <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk> wrote in message news:MPG.1b3cd68af4adecb6989c6f_at_news.individual.net...
> In article <40d2c1c0$0$25458$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>, Howard J.
> Rogers says...
> >
> > "Jeremy" <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > In article <40d1ed8f$0$6203$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>, Howard J.
> > > Rogers says...
> > parameter
> > rather
> > > >

> > > I already had a setting
> > > c:\utlfiledir
> > >
> > > which was working fine.
> > >
> > > Then I changed this to
> > > c:\utlfiledir, c:\utlfiledir\admin
> > >
> > > and I wasn't able to write into the latter of the 2 directories.
> >
> > Ah. Well, it always pays to read the documentation, doesn't it:
> >
> > "If you are specifying multiple directories, you must repeat the
> > UTL_FILE_DIR parameter for each directory on separate lines of the
> > initialization parameter file." (from tahiti.oracle.com).
> >
> > So ignore that rubbish I wrote earlier. :-( Sorry.
> >
> > In which case, we are back to square one regarding your initial problem,
and
> > I can only think this is one of those times when you'll have to get your
> > hands dirty with a command line edit of your init.ora.
> >
> > I believe that you're encourage to be creating directory objects and
such
> > like these days instead of using utl_file_dir, so maybe that's why the
> > functionality is a bit lacking.
> >
> I may be being thick here but I cannot find the 'init.ora' file for 9i
> r2 on XP (I recocognise that the name isn't going to be 'init.ora' but I
> cannot find anything similar. Perhaps I need to go and read your 9i new
> features e-book again!).

> I assume there is a way of editing a file and then forcing oracle to
> read it when it starts the instance?

Chapter 6 of the ebook deals with nearly every aspect of working with the spfile. Including how you create an init.ora from one, which is what you'll need to do. Basically: create pfile from spfile; and then run off to ORACLE_HOME\database. With an edited init.ora, you then force startup to use it if you like: startup pfile='c:\wherever\whatever.ora'. Or, create spfile from pfile, followed by just pain old startup -because if an spfile exists, it gets used in preference to an init.ora.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Jun 18 2004 - 07:20:36 CDT