Re: Oracle LogMiner question

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:00:30 +1000

"Sami Zeitoun" <samizn_at_walla.co.il> wrote in message news:97fc173e04f91eaf6b38820cf0262dbf$1_at_www.orafaq.net...
> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>
> As for you first question, I am using Oracle 10G.
> Maybe I didn't explain what I need well... what you suggested about adding
> the rowid as suplementary information to the log won't help me much...

I didn't say add the rowid. I said to read up on supplementary logging which puts the primary key, the unique key, or any other combination of row data you want into the redo stream. You don't need supplementary logging to get the rowid, since that's what you get for free in all Oracle versions going back to the dark ages.

> this rowid is a unique identifier for a row in a table... that means that
> if I update this row twice I'll have the same "unique identifier" in two
> different redo records (the same "unique identifier" for different rows in
> v$logmnr_contents). The fact that I would have two records with the same
> identifier is not good for me. Do you have another idea??

You will have a unique identifier for the row being modified AND you can combine that with the transactional information you are obtaining from the SCN or the Undo records.

> As I said... At the beginning I thought that the SCN column at
> v$logmnr_contents is the unique identifier that I want, but after that, I
> found out that it was not unique!! what is this SCN anyway?? what does it
> reproduce??

It is the system change number that every transaction is assigned when it starts. It therefore represents the timestamp of the database at the point a piece of DML began... even if that DML modifies a million rows, there is only one *transaction*.

You still haven't explained why you want this information. What is the business need you are attempting to solve?

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Jun 17 2004 - 03:00:30 CDT