Re: database market share 2003

From: Blair Adamache <badamache_at_2muchspam.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:53:04 -0400

Universties should not be teaching packaged applications. They should be teaching computer science. I am aware that Universities teach with DB2, Oracle, and Windows.

Any University serious about computer science should be teaching with open source tools (MySQL and Linux) that allow students to see the guts of how these things actually work. Trying to teach relational database with a focus on SQL is superficial. The same is true with using a commercial ERP app.

The students learn much more if they learn relational theory the way Codd taught it, and the packaged delivery of it (i.e. SQL in commercial RDBMS's and packaged ERP apps) is something they pick up on their own time or in summer jobs.