Re: Please help: stuck with ORA-12514

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:13:17 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message
>

>>Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>>It doesn't "come from" anywhere. It's just an integral part of an

> instance.
>
>>>So, provided you have started an instance, you have PMON. It's one of

> the
>
>>>many "background processes" without which an instance doesn't actually

> do
>
>>>any practical work.
>>
>>[huge snip]
>>Howard, the OP is on Windows; there will be only one process
>>recognizable: oracle.exe (and tnslsnr.exe).
>>You will not be able to see PMON.exe in your task list window
>>the same way you would on *nix.
>>Some room for misunderstanding here, especially for a newby.
>>--
>>
>>Regards,
>>Frank van Bortel
>>

> Frank: Whether he is on Windows or not, PMON is a "background process" (note
> the quotes). It's a standard Oracle phrase and its meaning has been
> well-established over many years in the Oracle community. If your point is
> that the phrase "background process" is not the same as "Windows process",
> then that is undoubtedly true. My cat is not a dog, either.
>
> If a newbie wants to find out about what DBWR or LGWR or any of the others
> do, they may well be tempted to search tahiti.oracle.com for the phrase
> "background processes" -whereupon they will find 87 topics across 22 books.
> A search for the phrase "background threads" will produce just 2 hits in one
> book. Which, then, is the more useful name/phrase to use?
>
> Moreover, the dynamic performance view where you can see details about them
> is called V$PROCESS no matter what platform you're running on. And there is
> no V$THREAD made especially for Windows users. Except that there is indeed a
> V$THREAD on all platforms that has got nothing whatever to do with the
> process v thread architectural issue and everything to do with managing
> one's stream of redo! Which, then, is the more misleading name to use?
>
> I appreciate the concern that motivated your post. On this specific issue,
> however, I think it has been misplaced.
> Regards
> HJR

Don't feel this as criticism - it isn't; if you felt it like that in any way, I apologize.
The response "where does this process come from" upon you starting off on PMON triggered the urge to reply, and -hopefully- clarify for the OP. Unless A. Coder replies, we'll never know, will we?

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel