Re: database market share 2003

From: Mark A <nobody_at_switchboard.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 07:35:14 -0600

> Noons wrote:
> > Given that it is the ONLY commercial RDBMS out there that follows
> > most of the relational db 12 rules, it probably deserves to be better
> > represented in education institutions.
> "Relational db 12 rules"? Care to elaborate?
> At the risk of looking stupid: I draw a blank here.
> I only know of normal forms, relational algebra and SQL :-(
>
> --
> Serge Rielau
> DB2 SQL Compiler Development
> IBM Toronto Lab

The 12 rules are from the famous Computerworld article in the mid 1980's by Ted Codd when he evaluated DBMS's to see if they were really relational.

I believe that Ingess scored the best (but I don't think they got all 12), DB2 was respectable, Oracle got fewer points than DB2 (and they would probably get even fewer points from Codd today since Oracle seems to have moved away from relational in many respects).

IDMS-R got 0 out of 12, and was exposed at the fraud it was (a network database with a limited SQL front end that only worked in certain circumstances). Received on Wed Jun 16 2004 - 08:35:14 CDT