Re: How to make Oracle10g on Windows *not* start on every boot?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:12:30 +1000

"Thomas Kellerer" <OSCUQDVXTKFJ_at_spammotel.com> wrote in message news:2ja9m4FuiajeU1_at_uni-berlin.de...
> On 15.06.2004 21:29 Howard J. Rogers wrote:
> > Perhaps the word "need" er, needs a little more hard definition.
> >
> > But let's not go there. The thread is about what services are *required*
for
> > a minimal functioning 10g install on Windows. The Listener isn't a
> > hard-and-fast requirement in that context.
>
> If the "Anonymous Coder" uses JDBC then the listener *is* required, that's
what
> I wanted to point out.

I'll try again. What services are needed for a minimal but functioning Oracle installation?

Now, read the original post that started this thread:

"I installed Oracle10g Enterprise on Windows 2000, but after the first reboot, Oracle was up and running, which is not what I want. I want to be able to start it when I need it, and terminate it afterwards, to save boot time and system resources."

And where in that lot is JDBC mentioned? Nowhere. But the guy explicitly wants to minimise resources.

The Listener is not a requirement for *Oracle*, in other words. It is obviously required for all sorts of connectivity issues, JDBC being but one of them. But that, at this stage and on the basis of the posts in front of us, is not of relevance.

If you want to talk about something I'm not talking about, that's fine. But I stand by what I wrote, and I think it more appropriate to what was actually asked, too.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Jun 16 2004 - 02:12:30 CDT