Re: CPU Resource Quota

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:31:22 +1000

"John Wood" <jwood_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:VxPzc.57397$%i1.13500_at_edtnps89...
> Sorry I forgot the important info here.
> I am running Oracle 9.2.0.2 on Window 2000 Server.
> Thanks.
> JW

You want to read up on Resource Manager. It's not quite as easy as setting a quota for a user. It's all done (manually) using dbms_resource_manager, or via an inscrutable GUI in Enterprise Manager. It lets you do things such as "when CPU resources are tight, I want members of this resource group only to have access to 20% of the available CPU". You then have to use the same package to assign users to particular resource groups (which you initially create using, er, exactly the same package).

The older (and frankly far less useful) mechanism is a profile, where you create a profile that says 'do not allow a job to run for more than 10 seconds' or 'do not allow someone's session to use up more than 50 seconds of CPU time', and then assign that profile to particular users. When that user then runs a long job, it blows up after 10 seconds; or if they do lots of little jobs, there comes a point where their session has used up its allotted CPU time, and thus is terminated. But profiles are extremely blunt instruments (a job gets terminated wherever it's gotten up to, without warning, generating a lot of rollback and redo activity as a result), and are really pretty archaic and only there for compatibility reasons.

Have a look, as I say, at Resource Manager documentation at http://tahiti.oracle.com (it's a big topic, so be warned).

Regards
HJR Received on Tue Jun 15 2004 - 23:31:22 CDT