Re: How to make Oracle10g on Windows *not* start on every boot?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:32:02 +1000

This is really a Windows management issue, not an Oracle one. Though I suppose it's also an Oracle issue because it would seem that you're not entirely clear on what particular bits of functionality you want and what services relate to which bits of functionality.

In general, however, if you don't want Oracle functionality started at each reboot, set all Oracle services to manual in the Control Panel's Administrative Tools, Services applet.

To start an Oracle instance manually thereafter you simply start the one OracleServiveXXXX process. No need for a Listener, even, if all you are doing is running and connecting on the same machine. If you need a Listener for remote connections, start that as well. If you want to practice developing n-tier applications, start up the HTTP Server service. If you want to use iSQLPlus, start that service. If you want to manage the database via OEM, then start the DBConsole service. If you're going to do everything from the command line, don't.

If you want to find out which service controls which bits of functionality, visit http://tahiti.oracle.com and start searching the online documentation.

If some things fail to work properly, provide details of the specific symptoms and any error messages you're getting, and we can explain what's going wrong and suggest a fix.

Fundamentally, you should do what you like with your services, because you are in control of your machines. But there may be dependencies you have to be aware of. But having become aware of them (see tahiti), be in control.

Regards