Re: database market share 2003

From: Blair Adamache <badamache_at_2muchspam.yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:17:37 -0400

I thought SAP R2 was written for MVS, and SAP R3 was written first for Oracle, and then moved to DB2 (on MVS, UNIX and Windows).

Certainly the SAP of the early 1990's bought into all the IBM cross-platform fun (Strategic Systems Architecture, perhaps even Common User Access). Early versions of SAP were also written for Adabas (perhaps R1?), but the SAP we know today was Oracle-centric, and SAP has invested quite a bit to change this.

In my recollection, JD Edwards was never a mainframe software vendor. Their backgrounds is IBM S3/X and AS/400, which are known as mid-range or minicomputer systems.

I could be wrong, and whether I am wrong or not, I welcome the appropriately disparaging retort from yourself or Captain Morgan.