Re: Oracle application server, which platform

From: Tony Dare <tonydare_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:34:01 -0700

Janos Makadi wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We would like to by a new Oracle Application Server, Standard Edition.
> My task is to decide which OS should we use. My personal oppinion is to
> choose some kind of linux distro. As I know oracle supports SuSE SLES,
> and RedHat Advanced Server.
>
> Does anyone has any experiences?

I've been running 10gAS on RedHat EL 3.0 (32-bit). It's been fine so far. My site is a mini-site, though. Remember to create a new oc4j instance as Oracle does not support applications that are deployed to the "home" oc4j that comes prebuilt with the product.

You might consider a 64-bit platform if you're going to have heavy traffic or separate the http server from the oc4j instance onto another (linux) server. Hmm, just looked on Metalink and it looks like it's certified to run on x86-64 although in 32-bit mode. So you might start there and then bump up to the 64-bit version when it's released.

FWIW TD Received on Mon Jun 14 2004 - 23:34:01 CDT