Re: Having Deadlock Problem

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:26:47 +0000 (UTC)

I've tried to get a three-way 'open graph' deadlock reported with a set of distributed transactions running from sql*plus, and haven't been able to emulate the trace file you got. I always ended up with ORA-02049, and no deadlock graph. Perhaps it's a timing thing, and you have enough very small transactions going on that you hit a critical window.

I can't tell you why the leading transaction gets stuck - either it's an application error, or it's an Oracle bug: in either case, I can't diagnose it remotely.

As far as ITL locks are concerned, the entry in v$lock for the blocked session would show a REQUEST in mode 4 against the transaction of the session that's doing the blocking. There are other reasons for mode 4's though - including bitmap index side-effects, and IOT row locks.

If you have a high degree of concurrency, then the objects (and their indexes) that are the targets for highly concurrent DML may need to have their initrans increased - but since ITLs can grow dynamically and you have pctfree set to 10, then it's not very likely that ITLs / initrans has anything to do with the problem.

The bottom line on ORA-00060 deadlocks is that Oracle is correct - it's usually a flaw in the application design. Two tasks that should not be happening concurrently are doing similar work in the reverse order.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st