Re: database market share 2003

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:43:37 +1000

Mark A allegedly said,on my timestamp of 11/06/2004 10:25 PM:

> I never said it proved anything. You implied that Oracle to DB2 never
> happened (because YOU did not see it happen, see your quote above for
> details), which is false. Sounds like you need another retraction.

You're the one that needs your head examined! Which apps have been "ported" AWAY from Oracle? Don't confuse making them available on a new product to moving them away from Oracle. The two are only the same in your fertile imagination...

> I really don't know the net effect of all these conversions,

WHAT "all these conversions"???? Name ONE! Once again, on fumes. Porting to an ADDITIONAL platform is NOT moving away from the previous one. Got it?

> have seen, Oracle market share is dropping, especially on new installations
> (rather than upgrades).

All I see is once the initial impact of "adding" AS400 and mainframe licenses to Unix licenses wore off, DB2 has basically stagnated. As widely expected. After all, one can only pull that dirty trick once. Although knowing IBM, it will probably be a short jump to add in CICS licenses as well. And Assembler. And whatever else they might scrounge around...

While SQL Server is going all sails ahead. With MySQL picking up the stray bits. That is the reality. Better deal with it... As for new installations, that is wide open to many "interpretations", so we better not go there.

> I don't think that it means that Oracle is a bad product, but DB2 and SQL
> Server have caught up from a product perspective, and they are much cheaper,
> both in terms of initial cost, and cost of ownership.

Correction: SQL Server IS much cheaper. DB2 never was, never will be. And TCO is about as bogus a definition as any.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto