Re: database market share 2003

From: Mark A <ma_at_switchboard.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:25:50 -0600

>>> Funnily enough, I see NO ONE "porting" their apps to "something else".
>>> But that must be an internal IBM "vision"...

> > I don't have "IBM vision," nor do I particularly care. But I do see lots
of
> > Oracle to DB2 questions on this and other DB2 forums (like
www.dbforms.com).
> > I am sure their are similar questions about converting Oracle to SQL
Server
> > on other forums.
>
> Of course. And a lot about converting SQL Server and DB2 to Oracle.
> Goes for all. What does that prove? About and exactly squat...
> --
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto

I never said it proved anything. You implied that Oracle to DB2 never happened (because YOU did not see it happen, see your quote above for details), which is false. Sounds like you need another retraction.

I really don't know the net effect of all these conversions, but from what I have seen, Oracle market share is dropping, especially on new installations (rather than upgrades).

I don't think that it means that Oracle is a bad product, but DB2 and SQL Server have caught up from a product perspective, and they are much cheaper, both in terms of initial cost, and cost of ownership. Received on Fri Jun 11 2004 - 07:25:50 CDT