Re: Rman recovery question

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:46:38 +1000

"hrishy" <hrishys_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:4ef2a838.0406102303.3f5913f3_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi
>
> Just to replay the case - A single machine hosted the target and the
> catalog. The catalog was last backed up at 10pm last night. The target
> was backed up at 8am this morning (and at 8am yesterday, using the
> catalog). Target archivelogs were backed up every hour (using RMAN).
> The machine blew this afternoon at 4pm. I've lost EVERYTHING
> (including all controlfiles) concerning the target and the catalog.
> Unfortunately, I was then only able to restore the catalog as of a
> point in time - 10pm last night. Now, using this catalog - I can only
> restore an OLD target controlfile. No matter what, I would only be
> able to restore/recover the target database as of 10pm (or earlier)
> yesterday. Correct?" Note : Controlfile auto backup feature was NOT
> turned on for target
>

> regards
> Hrishy

Incorrect. Provided you have archive redo logs, you can always recover to the very last one of them. If you have the current online log as well, you can always recover completely. In either case, the age of the control file used is irrelevant.

The procedures are a little more involved with RMAN, and I can't think what they would be off the top of my head at the moment, but have a look at the disaster recovery procedures in the documentation. They will allow you to extract the control file backup from a backup (autobackup simply means a control file backup is taken when file 1 is not backed up. RMAN always includes the control file in a backup operation that includes file 1, regardless of the autobackup setting), and from there you can initiate recovery.

As I say, if you genuinely lose everything, including the current online log, the best you can do is an incomplete recovery to the end of the last archive. If your current log survives, then a complete recovery is possible. In either case, you would have to issue the 'using backup controlfile' command in the recovery command. And in the 'loss of current log' scenario, you'd finish off with an open resetlogs.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Jun 11 2004 - 02:46:38 CDT