Re: ora-04031 error

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Jun 2004 09:09:46 -0700

"John Wood" <jwood_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<XCxxc.1898$cS.1398_at_edtnps89>...
> I have Oracle 9202 database on window2000. One morning I noticed that the
> database was down. In the .trc trace file it showed "ORA-04031:unable to
> allocate 18420 bytes of shared memory ("shared pool","unknown object","sga
> heap(1,0)","session param values")". When I tried to log on with SYS
> account, I got the same error message.
>
> I shutdown and restart the win2000 server, then the database started fine
> and I managed to log on with dba account.
>
> My question is: Is there any other way I can do to start the database other
> than the win2000 restart ? Can I find out which job or sql statement caused
> it to happen ? What can I do to prevent it from happening ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> JW

JW,

You might want to take a look at this doc, which discusses automation of this task. I've used this routine in the past. Ideally, you will solve the problem and not have to flush the shared pool.
In the event that in the short term you are left with no other choice but to flush, this will help.

http://www.quest-pipelines.com/pipelines/dba/archives/Pres100.doc

hth.

Pd Received on Wed Jun 09 2004 - 11:09:46 CDT