Re: database market share 2003

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 09:38:48 -0400

Noons wrote:

> Serge Rielau allegedly said,on my timestamp of 7/06/2004 10:29 PM:
>

>> It is a bit like me going out there and asking Mark Townsend to
>> _admit_ that RDB licenses are counted under Oracle's marketshare. Well, I

> If they are and I'm not aware of such a thing, then it is EQUALLY
> wrong and as blatantly deranged as IBM's claims. And quite frankly if that
> is what Gartner is doing, they truly deserve the title of morons.
> Even Oracle admits RDB is a "hierarchical db" and doesn't have
> the nerve to call it relational!

Now, THAT i didn't know. Maybe I was mislead by the R in RDB? ;-) Anyway, irrelevant, I suppose Oracle isn't making a lot of "new licence" revenue with RDB. It would be more of an IDC problem than a Gartner problem since IDC counts renewal which gives them different numbers, AFAIK..

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau