Re: database market share 2003

From: Mark A <ma_at_switchboard.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 15:05:56 -0600

> > > what i've not seen is the other side of this coin: that (perhaps)
> > > IBM's share is skewed (looks larger than it really is) by the
> > > fact that it pretty much owns the mainframe. a relative handful
> > > of very expensive installs. in other words, i question how relevant
> > > DB2 is to the future of relational databases. IBM needs to
> > > demonstrate that it is relevant outside of conversions (i use
> > > the term very, very loosely) of behemouth COBOL/VSAM systems. at
> > > my work, they just defined tables from the copybooks. i
> > > gather this is quite common.
> > >
> > > robert
> >
> > Since DB2 mainframe has been around since the mid-1980's, that is
> > ridiculous. The overwhelming majority or DB2 OS/390 applications were
> > designed on DB2 from scratch. Your company may be an exception, and
somewhat
> > backward. After all, they employ you, so it must be a really screwed up
> > company.
>
> forgot about this thread. ad homonym attacks don't answer the question:
> is DB2 number skewed by its monopoly on the MF (the acronym has
> various translations).
>
> all my love,
> robert

Don't forget that Oracle also has quite a few (very expensive) OS/390 licenses. Many of these don't get much use, but they do exist.

DB2 for OS/390 has over 2500 installs. Given the processing power of a mainframe versus a single UNIX server, the DB2 product is priced accordingly. Mainframes run many applications, whereas UNIX servers are typically hosting one or only a few applications each. So one DB2 OS/390 install can handle many different applications that would normally require many UNIX servers, and their associated DBMS licenses.

I have been to well over 25 different companies that have DB2 on the mainframe, and every single one had primarily (if not exclusively) applications built from scratch that run on DB2 for OS/390. Many of the companies that you rely on for daily services use this platform, including utilities, banks, brokerages, etc. If the only companies you know about with DB2 mainframe have only converted VSAM applications (without application enhancements), then your company is rather unique.

Please tell me what is the architectural difference between a web application with a DB2 for OS/390 database server versus a web application with a DB2 for UNIX database server?

Why do you make ad database attacks about a product that you know nothing about? Received on Fri Jun 04 2004 - 16:05:56 CDT