Re: session_cached_cursors

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:48:10 +0000 (UTC)

You've issues 2804 parse calls.
Of these, 51 have required a full optimize cycle. The rest have found pre-parsed images (sharable cursors).

If your setting of session_cached_cursors had been greater than 51, then the figures reported would not have been different. However, you could have found that the statistic "session cursor cache hits" was as high as 2702, and the statistic "session cursor cache count" as high as 51.

Although the parse count would have been the same, the cost of parse calls that use the session cursor cache is a little cheaper.

You can get a little extra information from "cursor authentications", (cursor authentications - hard parses) which would give you an idea how many times your parses were 'soft parses' that piggy-backed on cursors that had been parsed by other people.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Optimising Oracle Seminar - schedule updated May 1st