Re: database market share 2003

From: Blair Adamache <badamache_at_2muchspam.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 23:19:53 -0400

Darin McBride wrote:

> ... As long as that
> works, the platform in use is only of as much interest as their budget
> allows (i.e., a budget of $20,000 isn't going to get an AS/400!).

I think $20,000 is more than enough for an AS/400 (iSeries) DB2 solution. Low cost of ownership has always been a strong point of iSeries. Kent Milligan might correct me if I'm wrong.

> Noons' second point is that all AS/400 users are counted as DB2
> customers whether they use it or not.

I don't think we actually know this for IDC or Gartner - the Gartner report is something you have to purchase, and the article that touched off this debate makes no mention of AS/400 or iSeries. The guys throwing stones on this are:

  1. in glass houses
  2. in the dark, and hitting their own houses with stones