Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 15:14:03 +1000

Howard J. Rogers allegedly said,on 29/05/2004 4:49 AM:

> Well, merely by using definition 5 above, and never minding that this is
> getting rather silly since it involves the actual switching off of all the
> usual criticial facilities with which we have been endowed, then...

Precisely. That is the only way that this could stick.

> The phrase "One who ... persuades me to recognise the worth or desirability
> of ... free software" can, by a process of one-for-one substitution, be
> turned into the phrase "One who ... sells ... free software".

Sure. By losing all meaning. I can also turn "One who ... persuades me to recognize the worth or desirability of ... free software" into "One who sells fishing goods", using PRECISELY the same inference.

> And that phrase can then be one for one substituted to become "a vendor of
> ... free software"

Yup. Getting there is the problem.

> As I say, that only requires a literal mind and a dictionary.

Certainly not any of the dictionaries I have...

> But I think the real point, Noons, is that railing against a well-known (and
> I have to say, generallywell understood) phrase is a bit like me banging my
> head against a brick wall when I see the word "architected", and wish that
> people would just stick to "designed". It ain't gonna happen.

I think you are very much wrong. I happen to believe that what is not gonna happen is this rubbish called "free software that is not free, maintained by God only knows who, and who needs and entire industry of tinkerers to make it do anything useful".

And guess what: I have yet to find it ANYWHERE other than very large companies who can afford tinkering or individuals who hope to make a living out of tinkering for others.

In the vast majority of IT users, and that is to say the small to mid size companies, there is NOT ONE so far I've found with ANY "free software" anywhere. Guess what path they are taking? Yup: .Net.

Note: I did NOT say I liked this state of affairs. But I ain't gonna seal my ears and cry "not listening,lah-lah-lah" and hope it will go away. It is very much a reality.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto