Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 04:49:51 +1000

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:40b72ca8$0$13784$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>
> > Well, actually, if one were to get pedantic about, the definition of
> > "vendor" is "one that sells", and the definition of "sell" is,
variously,

> > 5.. To persuade (another) to recognize the worth or desirability of
> > something: They sold me on the idea.
>
> desirability or worth. Not THE actual something.

Well, merely by using definition 5 above, and never minding that this is getting rather silly since it involves the actual switching off of all the usual criticial facilities with which we have been endowed, then...

The phrase "One who ... persuades me to recognise the worth or desirability of ... free software" can, by a process of one-for-one substitution, be turned into the phrase "One who ... sells ... free software".

And that phrase can then be one for one substituted to become "a vendor of ... free software".

As I say, that only requires a literal mind and a dictionary.

But I think the real point, Noons, is that railing against a well-known (and I have to say, generallywell understood) phrase is a bit like me banging my head against a brick wall when I see the word "architected", and wish that people would just stick to "designed". It ain't gonna happen.

Regards
HJR