Re: JDBC Connection Refused to 10g on Solaris 8

From: Joe Weinstein <joeNOSPAM_at_bea.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 21:04:58 -0700

Tim Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure where the problem is but I have a new demo Solaris 8 Sparc
> Blade 480 server, on which I installed Oracle 10g.
>
> I have 4 PCs spawning 15 threads each with a couple of database
> connections (each) and I watch the Oracle select count(*) from
> v$session run up to 110 or so before suddenly the JDBC connections
> fail, saying tns listener refused the connection.
>
> I cant find anything exciting in the listener.log and the database
> sessions max is set to 1000. I tried prespawning threads and cant see
> anything for max processes on the Solaris and I am at my wits end.
>
> I had upgraded to classes12.jar for 10g from otn.oracle.com and I am
> using Java 1.4. I never had a problem against the old Oracle 8.0.5
> databases for the same code/JDBC connections.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why connections would be refused once they
> become numerous??
>
> thanks!
>
> Tim

Hi. Oracle can fail some connection requests if there are too many near simultaneous connection requests. Better to make all the connections in an orderly way (small delay between successive con requests) at startup and pool/re-use them. Also, if you're using the type-2 OCI-based driver, beware that OCI tends to require 2,3,or 4 file descriptors for each connection. OCI wasn't written for middleware. I think OCI opens the oracle client files like the error message file independently for each connection, and Solaris will start failing these connection attempts once the JVM process hits it's file descriptor limit... Hope this helps,
Joe Weinstein at BEA Received on Thu May 27 2004 - 23:04:58 CDT