Re: logon as sysdba -- insufficient privileges ?!?!?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 07:15:47 +1000

"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:bf49b0lhqmjr71lla7a0loglmamnlco11u_at_4ax.com...

> >After that, we are in diagnostics mode, since on Windows the case
certainly
> >shouldn't be an issue. And the first one to ask is: how confident are you
> >that the server you are asking to 'parse' your domain account is actually
> >connected to the domain and can see the domain controller and can
actually
> >do the 'parsing'?
>
> Well, since I am logged on to the server itself using my domain
> account, I'd think that's pretty certain. But as usual, I'm plagued
> by the knowledge that I don't know what it is I don't know. So I
> could well be missing something.

If you logged on to the *domain controller* itself, that would be one thing. But logging on elsewhere doesn't mean much if you have locally-cached credentials. Not that this is entirely relevant: but when my DNS settings were not quite as 'robust' as they should have been, my XP laptop would spend quite a while logging on to the domain. When it had finished, I even had mapped network drives which I could access, so all looked OK. Check the event log, however, and 'Netlogon failure' messages everywhere. It pays, in other words, to check.

> >As a test, I would add 'Everyone' or 'Domain Users' to the ORA_DBA group
and
> >see how far you get. If you get past the 'insufficient privileges'
message,
> >you know it's got something to do with authenticating your domain
account.
> >And since you are using O/S authentication, make sure
> >remote_login_passwordfile in the init.ora is set to NONE whilst you're at
> >it. Although 'exclusive' or 'shared' will still work in an O/S
> >authentication environment once the database has been created, it's best
> >be 'clean' on the matter at database creation time.
> >
> I'll keep this in mind, but at this point I think Sybrand's suggestion
> to make sure I'm patched up to 8.1.7.4 sounds like the best bet at
> this point. In my haste to get the db up, I simply forgot to apply
> the patch when I first installed. I rememberd that last night and
> will address it today. "Film at eleven."

Well, you can read a post I made on that subject elsewhere. Of course it's an excellent idea to patch to something higher than 8.1.7.4. But since I have O/S authentication working for 8.1.7.0 and 8.1.7.3, it obviously isn't necessarily the issue.

But if it gets things running for you, fair enough I suppose.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed May 26 2004 - 16:15:47 CDT