Re: logon as sysdba -- insufficient privileges ?!?!?

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 07:58:54 -0500

Comments embedded . . . .

On Wed, 26 May 2004 06:54:04 +1000, "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

>"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message
>> Platform: Oracle 8.1.7 SE on Win2k Server
>>
>> Here's a new one on me. Creating a new db on a new box. Old hat,
>> ought to be a piece of cake. Except this is our first server built to
>> use Windows Terminal Services instead of PC-Anywhere.
>>
>> The install ran fine (after adjusting for the P-4 bug) and after
>> referencing the work-arounds listed in MetaLink Bulletin 77627.1 I
>> was able to get a listener up and running.
>>
>> So now I've got a listener, time to create a db. ORADIM seemed to
>> work ok, gave me a db service -- OracleServiceNLCP -- and a password
>> file. Next I tried to test my connection before running a 'create
>> database' script. As almost expected with Terminal Services, it
>> failed with a ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
>>

>> So, again suspecting Terminal Services as a culprit, I went back to
>> the machine room and sat down at the server console to try again.
>> This time I got:
>>
>> C:\>set oracle_sid=nlcp
>>
>> C:\>sqlplus /nolog
>>
>> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Tue May 25 14:12:57 2004
>>
>> (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>>
>> SQL> connect / as sysdba
>> ERROR:
>> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
>>

>> SQL>
>>
>> Yes, the server has a local group called ORA_DBA, and my domain
>> network account is a member of that group. Here's the oradim command
>> I used to create the service and the password file:
>>
>> d:\oracle\ora81\bin\oradim -NEW -SID NLCP -INTPWD nlcp -startmode AUTO
>> -pfile e:\oradmin\nlcp\initnlcp.ora
>

>First, I know Windows isn't case sensitive like certain other, er,
>well-known operating systems, but it is slack to create services called
>NLCP, and then set ORACLE_SID (which as an environment variable itself ought
>to be in upper case, too) to 'nlcp'. One day, you may do work on a box that
>*is* case sensitive, so you might as well get into the good habits now.

Actually, I've been working on those boxes for a couple of years now, and prefer them. As an aside, it's been interesting to notice my own behavior as I switch back and forth. I have no problem tightening/loosening the case sensitivity as required/allowed. But on the other hand, even though I have far more 'stick time' on the Windows side, I find myself using vi keystroke sequences when in Windows -- even to the point of trying to use colon-x to exit and save an Excel spreadsheet! And 'j' definately doesn't move the cursor down a line when in Notepad! ;-)

>After that, we are in diagnostics mode, since on Windows the case certainly
>shouldn't be an issue. And the first one to ask is: how confident are you
>that the server you are asking to 'parse' your domain account is actually
>connected to the domain and can see the domain controller and can actually
>do the 'parsing'?

Well, since I am logged on to the server itself using my domain account, I'd think that's pretty certain. But as usual, I'm plagued by the knowledge that I don't know what it is I don't know. So I could well be missing something.

>As a test, I would add 'Everyone' or 'Domain Users' to the ORA_DBA group and
>see how far you get. If you get past the 'insufficient privileges' message,
>you know it's got something to do with authenticating your domain account.
>And since you are using O/S authentication, make sure
>remote_login_passwordfile in the init.ora is set to NONE whilst you're at
>it. Although 'exclusive' or 'shared' will still work in an O/S
>authentication environment once the database has been created, it's best to
>be 'clean' on the matter at database creation time.

I'll keep this in mind, but at this point I think Sybrand's suggestion to make sure I'm patched up to 8.1.7.4 sounds like the best bet at this point. In my haste to get the db up, I simply forgot to apply the patch when I first installed. I rememberd that last night and will address it today. "Film at eleven."