Re: Oracle 10g Server on Windows XP Pro

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 16:15:43 +1000

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Oracle+10g+database+unavailable&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=de616ff6.0405251436.14b515e9%40posting.google.com&rnum=1

> Unfortunately the only response to date is that the user must be
> trying to install Oracle on an unsupported system!!!!!

Not sure what all the exclamation marks are trying to say. If you try to install SQL Server on Linux, what do you think would happen? Oracle has a set of platforms its certified for (and XP Pro is one of them), but if you try putting it on one that's not certified, you can't expect everything to work perfectly. The response you seem to think is a bit odd therefore strikes me as being perfectly legitimate.

> I'm new to ORacle, trying to get some stored procs written and
> management aren't going to accept that I need a week to get to grips
> with Oracle. What's so frustrating about this product is that at every
> turn there's a problem. Do a reboot and a service that should restart
> gives a "Unable to start because service returned an unexpected error
> - return code x'02'" with nothing on MSDN or Oracle turning up what
> this return code means. Restarting the service gets you past that
> problem but then in trying to trace my original problem I get a
> message about ORACLE_SID environment variable needing to be set - why
> isn't install doing this for me? Help screens talk about "SID aliases"
> or "network service names" being needed in basic dialogue screens
> without explaining what these are, where the install process has set
> them or how to find out where they can be ascertained. I appreciate
> that this is a complex database system and needs to be properly learnt
> but so far I'm singularly unimpressed.
>
> A basic installation should not be so difficult!

I can only say again, a basic installation isn't!

The installation process will not create an ORACLE_SID for you (the name of your instance, effectively, which will, if you have any sense, also be the name of your database). That is what the database creation assistant will do for you when you finally get around to creating a database (and again if you have any sense you will make installation and database creation two separate steps. I've never gotten on with the business of creating a database as part of the installation, but simply do a software only install, and then run DBCA as a separate exercise).

You will also find things run a lot smoother when you install onto a clean Windows box. ORACLE_SID is a registry setting, and it can get rather confused when 10g finds itself being installed onto box previously used for a 9i database, because the registry can get messy over time.

The fundamental problem here, though, is that you *still* haven't offered any real information *at all* about your system. Is it part of a network? Is there a network card? What other software is on it. Is it at home? Is it at work? Is there a domain? What IP address are you using? Is there a firewall? How much RAM? How much disk space?

Also, the link to 'an identical problem' you mentioned actually points merely to your original post, so doesn't throw much light on the subject.

So, please don't take this the wrong way, but if you take a deep breath and actually tell us some actual facts, without making slip-ups like that one, or the password/single-user one, we may be able to help. But if all we get is descriptive and reference errors, and opinion about what an installation should or should not do, or how difficult it should or should not be, we can't help much. It doesn't help either saying 'Visio worked fine'... you may as well say, 'I have a drivers licence, so why won't this aeroplane do what I want it to do?'.

If you are new to Oracle, make friends with http://tahiti.oracle.com, and at least read the concepts guide if you haven't already done so. You *cannot* be an Oracle DBA if you don't know what a SID is, what a network service name is, what ORACLE_SID is doing for you, and why all three are subtley different from each other. And much else besides.

I, and many others here, are willing to help you out as much as we can, but we need a little more information (well, a lot more, actually) and much less 'froth'.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed May 26 2004 - 01:15:43 CDT