Re: Oracle 10g Server on Windows XP Pro

From: Ian Smith <ian.smith_at_irascian.com>
Date: 25 May 2004 22:55:09 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:<40b3d86b$0$3035$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...

> None of which might be your problem, of course. But it's difficult to think
> of anything much else it could be on the basis of the information provided.

Actually you're right I must have provided a password - I always use the same one. It's not working. My confusion is over the fact that when XP Pro boots it shows the single Admin user by default and I just click on that icon and I'm in.

The reality is that I've been running for a year with SQL Server, Visual Studio, networking etc and had no problems - until Oracle 10g came along!

I think the XP issue is a red herring actually. The problem seems to be connecting to the database after a reboot. Another user has posted an identical problem here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Oracle+10g+database+unavailable&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=de616ff6.0405251436.14b515e9%40posting.google.com&rnum=1

Unfortunately the only response to date is that the user must be trying to install Oracle on an unsupported system!!!!!

I'm new to ORacle, trying to get some stored procs written and management aren't going to accept that I need a week to get to grips with Oracle. What's so frustrating about this product is that at every turn there's a problem. Do a reboot and a service that should restart gives a "Unable to start because service returned an unexpected error - return code x'02'" with nothing on MSDN or Oracle turning up what this return code means. Restarting the service gets you past that problem but then in trying to trace my original problem I get a message about ORACLE_SID environment variable needing to be set - why isn't install doing this for me? Help screens talk about "SID aliases" or "network service names" being needed in basic dialogue screens without explaining what these are, where the install process has set them or how to find out where they can be ascertained. I appreciate that this is a complex database system and needs to be properly learnt but so far I'm singularly unimpressed.

A basic installation should not be so difficult! Received on Wed May 26 2004 - 00:55:09 CDT