Re: 10g ASM is junk ...

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:58:38 +0100

"Domenic" <domenicg_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c7e08a19.0405241711.3c55f744_at_posting.google.com...
> I've been looking over ASM in 10g. Am I the only one who thinks ASM
> is a piece of junk? It looks like software-based RAID, and you need
> to take on the overhead of an ASM instance. How can this possibly be
> faster or better than striping/mirroring at the operating system
> level?

I don't see it as junk, and I don't see it as software RAID - I see it as a software SAN (or possibly a cheap SAN). I'd rather have a hardware SAN and none of this auto balancing malarkey (I believe that is the technical term :( ) .

lets see what it looks like in 10g release 3 or 11x release 2.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA