10g ASM is junk ...

From: Domenic <domenicg_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 May 2004 18:11:40 -0700

I've been looking over ASM in 10g. Am I the only one who thinks ASM is a piece of junk? It looks like software-based RAID, and you need to take on the overhead of an ASM instance. How can this possibly be faster or better than striping/mirroring at the operating system level?

I can't understand why Oracle would waste so much time and money on a feature that is better handled at the OS level (and easier too). So if the ASM instance fails -- BANG, the other instances can't see the disks anymore? I don't think anyone in their right mind would use this.

Just my 2 cents ..

Dom. Received on Mon May 24 2004 - 20:11:40 CDT