Re: Oracle and Arcserve

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 10:13:23 +1000

"steve" <me_at_me.com> wrote in message
> > Oracle servers shouldn't be checking email, and open ports...well, what
> > were you thinking having open ports :-)
> >

> Er actually you missed infections by visiting web sites.

I'm sure I missed all sorts of possible sources of infection. Alll of which tend to require user activity of some sort. None of which would therefore apply to a server.

> also keep in mind that oracle now has a mailer that sits inside the oracle
> database.

"Mailer". Hmmm.... One who mails. Not one who *receives* mails, opens them and executes their attachments. Bit of a different issue.

>not to mention Java mail package which you can also load into the
> oracle server.

Whatever. We could go round the maypole on this one for ever.

I have 8 servers here that do not have any continuous antivirus monitoring (weekly full scans, however, do take place). I have a proxy server that is the only way out to the rest of the world, and it's anti-virused up to its eyeballs, firewalled, and monitors everything on the (very slow telephone!) wire in real time. Every client machine is similarly encumbered. I haven't had anything affect those servers yet (3 years and counting).

YMMV, of course. And if you wanted to implement auto-protect to give added peace of mind and, who knows, added actual protection, then go ahead and do it (but don't claim "it can't do any harm", because the best auto-protect tools take 5% or more of CPU time, which isn't nothing and is therefore something: a direct cost you need to be aware of).

Regards
HJR Received on Sun May 23 2004 - 19:13:23 CDT