Re: oracle 9.2.0.4.0 red hat 9

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 06:05:33 +1000

tglahn17 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems installing Oracle 9.2.0.4.0 on Red Hat 9. During
> runInstaller, I get numerous errors about something wrong with the
> target of makefile in various directories. Also, many of the
> assistants, like the Database Configuration Assistant don't get
> installed. I can start sqlplus. But then I can't mount the starter
> database I created during the installation. Also, when I try to run
> dbca, I get this error:
>
> /hutch/oracle/jre/1.1.8/bin/../lib/i686/green_threads/libzip.so:
> symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with
> link time reference (libzip.so)
> Unable to initialize threads: cannot find class java/lang/Thread
> Could not create Java VM
>

> The strange thing about this is that I've installed Java 1.4.2. Why
> is it looking for Java 1.1.8? I did notice in the Oracle installer
> interface that it was installing Java 1.1.8. Is Java 1.1.8 a
> permananet part of the Oracle installer? Thanks for any advice,

Oracle does indeed supply it's own JRE on the installation media, and there is thus no need at all for Java to be especially installed by you beforehand. If you've got multiple Javas on the one machine, the JAVA_HOME environment needs to be set correctly.

I guess I'm a bit confused when you say you're "installing 9.2.0.4", since last time I looked one installed 9.2.0.1 and patched to 9.2.0.4. So I'm not clear whether you are installing base 9.2.0.1 and having trouble, or applying the patch and having trouble. Or, indeed, whether it's all changed since I last looked!

The installation of base 9i on RH9 is actually fairly easy, and is documented at www.dizwell.com. In particular, pay attention to the native threads issue.

Regards
HJR Received on Tue May 18 2004 - 15:05:33 CDT