Re: 10g & RedHat Patch News

From: David Williams <djw_at_smooth1.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 22:15:17 +0100

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:40a85778$0$3035$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>

> > I've received 3 emails thanking me for the heads up.
>
> I have received 18 mails in the past week calling you... Well, I won't
> say, because ultimately it doesn't matter. This isn't a numbers game,
> Daniel.
>
> If you can't see the issue here, then fair enough I suppose, though it
> would be of benefit to you and to the group if you could.
>
> >I've had nothing
> > but agressive responses from you in several threads.
>
> I have asked you not to rubbish a platform, but to deal with it in a
> reasoned fashion. I have posted that your advice in this thread is

     What you mean letting us know there is a patch set coming is
     rubbishing a platform? That is it the first patch set for 10g. Well
     guess what..most major releases of any large software project
     (and major database vendors are not immune) have lots of bugs
     not discovered by the vendor prior to release. 100,000 new users
     downloading oracle and playing with it for a month will almost
     certainly find bugs not found by the vendor and only found when
     real custom apps that the vendor  has no access to are run against
     the product!

    There is the first set of fixes coming soon, perhaps you might like to     wait a bit longer and

  1. look at the list of fixes in this patch set.
  2. see if any might affect you when you go live.?

    It only delays golive for a couple of weeks and might mention a     problem which be rated as serious/critical for you. Surely due care    and dilgence means

  1. hearing about this is useful
  2. you wait a bit and check before going live..seems sensible huh?

> vague, imprecise and not very helpful. That the "I have a secret inside

   Vague and imprecise...well yeah..until you see what is in the patchset.    Perhaps even now some fix might get pulled if it causes a problem for    the release date??

> source of knowledge" type of post sits ill with some (IMO, many). And
> you consider that "aggression"?

    Depends on how you mention it...

> > So I guess I have
> > to weigh the thanks of some against the angst of one. If you don't
> > like my posts this week ignore them.
>
> No, I'll do what I can to try and bring you to some realisation that
> your posts this week have been arrogrant, dismissive and rather
> unprofessional. I think that's my privilege.
>
> Your privilege, of course, is to ignore what you consider to be
> "aggression".
>
> >If there is something else why
> > don't you send me an email off-line.
>
> Because, Daniel, it is here that you are doing what you are doing.
>
> > Either way ... I am not aware of anything I have done to invite most
> > of what you have written.
>
> It is the lack of awareness which is a bit of a worry, frankly.

     Hope your customer are happy with your lack of awareness about upcoming
     oracle patches and the potential to minimize risks by waiting you are
avoiding.