Re: What so special about PostgreSQL and other RDBMS?

From: Greg D. Moore \(Strider\) <mooregr_deleteth1s_at_greenms.com>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 23:27:03 GMT

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net> wrote in message news:5lSpc.62944$xw3.3682312_at_attbi_s04...

> Fire wall is blocked on those ports and many more, has been for a many
> years. That's not the problem. The problem is when one of these things
> gets inside the firewall then the firwall doesn't help much does it?

In other words, you have a jelly donut of a network. Again, why are you blaming a poor security design on the OS?

>Gee,
> don't have this problem on port 1521 with Oracle.

"So Far". That's the problem with approaches such as patching to security. It assumes you know about the threat. What happens if someone tomorrow comes out with the Oracle version of slammer? You're in just as much trouble.

> If it were as shoddily
> written as MS SQLServer's security you know people would be attacking it
> and it would be in the news. It isn't because the products come from 2
> different mind sets. When someone's mainframe goes down or suffers an
> undexpected service interuption then the CEO is on the phone with the CEO
of
> the mainframe company demanding to know why and when the fix is going to
be
> installed. I remember encountering a problem with Oracle's SQLNet product
> to DB2 running on a mainframe, where if the client rebooted it locked up a
> CPU on the mainframe. American Transtech called Oracle and Oracle had
> someone out there to fix it the next morning. (from California to
> Jacksonville) When someone's PC goes down people don't call MS (because
> that is useless);

It is? Gee, I guess those times where they've fixed my problems is just a myth. Received on Sun May 16 2004 - 18:27:03 CDT