Re: Does Oracle allow configuring - number of records returned?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 23:22:29 GMT

Patel wrote:

> Consider this case:
>
> I have an application with oracle database in backend. The Frontend allows
> users to query data based on some criteria. The data retrieved is
> displayed on the screen. The application limits the number of records
> queried to 5000.There could be millions of records in the database.
>
> I was trying to understand, from performance aspect - oracle will always
> return millions of records, but only 5000 are required. Is there any way
> to limit ?
>
> Ofcourse where clause would be used to filter the results, still the
> result could be huge number of records.

Please forgive the jumping in ...

This is a very reasonable question - Oracle's tool sets (such as Forms) uses some variants of the solutions that are available. There are several ways of accomplishing this. The answer depends on several things:

You would find a very decent discussion tuned to the Oracle8i environment in Thomas Kyte's Expert One on One Oracle book.

An alternate source is at http://docs.oracle.com - look for the "Developer's Guide" for the database version in question.

/Hans Received on Fri May 14 2004 - 18:22:29 CDT