Re: Synchronous writes & TEMP

From: VC <boston103_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 23:15:02 GMT

Frank,

"Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message news:c83d1v$n9s$1_at_news1.tilbu1.nb.home.nl...
> VC wrote:
>
> > Frank,
> >
> > Asynchronous IO is irrelevant to my question.
> > The question is why Oracle uses synchronous OS write calls when data
> > integrity is _not_ at stake (or is it) ?
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > VC
> >
> > "Frank van Bortel" <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>VC wrote:
> >>

> >>I'd say Karsten had a plausible explanation: the process
> >>that needs temp to be written has nothing better to do
> >>than wait - so why bother with an extra communications
> >>process and async writes when there's a synchronous write,
> >>that will only return when done?
> >>
> >>Ready to be beaten up, technically speaking ;)
> >>--
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>Frank van Bortel
> >>

> Yeah - you've been pounding on that enough by now.

Yes I was wasn't I, with little success too I must admit judging by your comments.

> Start reading the thread.
>
> Why should it not, when it *has to wait*?
> I'll repeat that: when it (the process) has to wait
> (for the writing to complete).
>
> Looks more efficient to use sync than
> async + comm mechanism to me.

I really hate to be rude but you just do not have a clue what you are talking about. Before you embarras
yourself any further, I'll give you a hint: Oracle can use both asynchronous IO _and_ synchronous writes at the same time when performing IO to the TEMP tablespace. When you reconcile your mental model of Oracle's IO with this simple fact, you'll probably realize that synchronous writes and asynchronous IO are orthogonal.

Please do yourself a favour and read, like, a book or something on OS I/O fundamentals and then we'll talk -- this is really basic stuff..

> Thus Karsten's explanation looks plausible.

I guess it means that both of you are in the same boat then ...

VC