Re: Database Report Generator - beta testers needed

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 14 May 2004 14:43:42 -0700

"Alex Molochnikov" <NOBODY_at_NO_SPAM.com> wrote in message news:<5zSoc.7222$RM.3080_at_edtnps89>...
> I am responding to your post not for your own sake (you alerady stated that
> it will be deleted by your newsreader), but for those who might read (and be
> mislead by) your post.
>
> > ...you
> > don't appear to realize that everything you say on USENET ends up in
> > google groups. For example all the postings you made as 'alex AT
> > gestalt.com' are available here:
> >

> http://groups.google.ie/groups?hl=en&lr=&q=author%3Aalex%40gestalt.com&btnG=Search
>
> I am well aware of this. What you don't appear to realize is that I have no
> posts to be ashamed of.

You should be ashamed of some. You certainly have been told of some.

> > There's also this gem:
> >

> http://groups.google.ie/groups?q=Molochnikov&hl=en&lr=&selm=KEr4c.162525%24A12.49680%40edtnps84&rnum=2
>
> In your opinion, this means that I have 1 year experience with Oracle. No
> so. I have precisely 3 days experience with Oracle - and this is all that
> was needed to make a program layer to call the Oracle JDBC driver, and learn
> the peculiar ways in which it handles BLOBs and CLOBs. If I were to adopt
> your didactic tone, I would have attempted to educate you on the issues of
> database-agnostic programming with Java's JDBC layer, but I will not bother.
>
> However, what I do have is 13 years experience with SQL in various
> implementations, plust 5 years experience with the JDBC, and this certainly
> was a deciding factor in bringing Oracle support on stream in Scribe.
>
> > There are three important lessons for you here:
> >
> > 1. Don't ask questions which might embarrass your company using a
> > company email address. Why would I buy an Oracle report generator
> > written by someone whose internet postings reveal that he has one year's
> > Oracle experience?
>
> Since you obviously do not understand what database-independence means, and
> how the report generators work, I am afraid it is you who should be
> embarrassed.

As one who has a great deal of experience with both report generators and database independence, as a user and working for vendors, I can categorically state that someone with 3 days of experience will miss an awful lot of very basic problems that most vendors have not solved after years of work. Some are intrinsic to *DBC architecture. Some relate to "things work differently." Some are scaling issues. Some are implicit lowest common denominator issues.

> > 2. Don't make commercial postings in places where the De Facto community
> > standards prohibit them. People don't buy software from SPAM merchants.
> > SPAM in the eye of the beholder, not the poster.
>
> Precisely. And what is in the eye of one beholder (you) is something
> entirely different for others, as those who took their time to test Scribe
> have proved to us.

Irregardless of definitions, many will say "jeez, idiot can't follow simple directions, how good can it be?"

> > 3. Don't get into slanging matches. It makes you look bad.
>
> Not worse than letting silly accusations stand.
>
> > Also: Don't bother replying to me about this - I've had enough of you
> > and your report generator. In future anything coming out of gestalt.com
> > will be deleted on sight by my newsreader.
>
> :-)

Dang no-killfile google.

jg

--