Re: Database Report Generator - beta testers needed

From: Alex Molochnikov <NOBODY_at_NO_SPAM.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 22:22:57 GMT

I am responding to your post not for your own sake (you alerady stated that it will be deleted by your newsreader), but for those who might read (and be mislead by) your post.

> ...you
> don't appear to realize that everything you say on USENET ends up in
> google groups. For example all the postings you made as 'alex AT
> gestalt.com' are available here:

http://groups.google.ie/groups?hl=en&lr=&q=author%3Aalex%40gestalt.com&btnG=Search

I am well aware of this. What you don't appear to realize is that I have no posts to be ashamed of.

> There's also this gem:

http://groups.google.ie/groups?q=Molochnikov&hl=en&lr=&selm=KEr4c.162525%24A12.49680%40edtnps84&rnum=2

In your opinion, this means that I have 1 year experience with Oracle. No so. I have precisely 3 days experience with Oracle - and this is all that was needed to make a program layer to call the Oracle JDBC driver, and learn the peculiar ways in which it handles BLOBs and CLOBs. If I were to adopt your didactic tone, I would have attempted to educate you on the issues of database-agnostic programming with Java's JDBC layer, but I will not bother.

However, what I do have is 13 years experience with SQL in various implementations, plust 5 years experience with the JDBC, and this certainly was a deciding factor in bringing Oracle support on stream in Scribe.

> There are three important lessons for you here:
>
> 1. Don't ask questions which might embarrass your company using a
> company email address. Why would I buy an Oracle report generator
> written by someone whose internet postings reveal that he has one year's
> Oracle experience?

Since you obviously do not understand what database-independence means, and how the report generators work, I am afraid it is you who should be embarrassed.

> 2. Don't make commercial postings in places where the De Facto community
> standards prohibit them. People don't buy software from SPAM merchants.
> SPAM in the eye of the beholder, not the poster.

Precisely. And what is in the eye of one beholder (you) is something entirely different for others, as those who took their time to test Scribe have proved to us.

> 3. Don't get into slanging matches. It makes you look bad.

Not worse than letting silly accusations stand.