Re: Index management

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 07:34:01 +1000

Brian Peasland wrote:

>>>Thanks for providing that. I now know that your clustering factor is the
>>>same as Oracle's definition, since you are using the CLUSTERING_FACTOR
>>>column of DBA_INDEXES. And I now fully understand your ratio you have
>>>been talking about.
>>
>>And that's it? That's all you have to *say* about this ratio that you
>>now fully understand?
>>
>>Would you not care to elaborate just a little on how this ratio behaves
>>after an index rebuild?

> All I said was that I understood his ratio and how it was computed. I
> guess I shouldn't have used the word "fully". But I now know how Mike
> computed it. I never said anything about how this ratio behaves after an
> index rebuild. And if you've read my other posts in this thread, you'll
> see that I agreed with you on the clustering factor not changing. And
> since the number of blocks in the table doesn't change, it should be a
> logical conclusion that I do understand that this ratio *does not*
> change after an index rebuild. If you are looking for more, then you'll
> have to ask Mike. All I said was that I now understood how Mike
> calculated his ratio...
>
> Cheers,
> Brian

Well, no... you said you 'understood it (the ratio) fully'. Implying, I'm afraid, that there is actually some informational content in this ratio that is to be understood.

Because one can 'understand how Mike calculated his ratio', and one can 'fully understand the ratio'. And those aren't the same thing at all.

But since you clarify, that's fine.

Regards
HJR Received on Mon May 10 2004 - 16:34:01 CDT