Re: Index management

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 16:09:17 +0100

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_tbigpond.nospam.com> wrote in message news:Iqqmc.24215$TT.6519_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> What did you think of the slides ?

Just thought I'd quote out of context a bit - seemed right somehow :)

You'll note that I've already recommended the presentation - I like it a lot.

I do agree somewhat with Mike though, attaching names to the quotes has both advantages and disadvantages.

First of all, it isn't unreasonable for someone so quoted to consider themselves attacked personally - especially if they have a personality type that says a disagreement with what I have said is a disagreement with me as a person.

Secondly, some websites allow articles to be revised without any indication that this has happened - for example unless I am being blind Don's December 03 article on dbazine no longer contains the sentence you quote - namely "If the index clustering factor is high, an index rebuild may be beneficial" doesn't appear anywhere in the inside oracle indexing article that is up currently. This could lead the unwary to quote something that later got corrected and help perpetuate the myth. FWIW I see this as bad journalism on the part of the website not the article author - good journalism would peer review the article before publication and not any changes. .

On the other hand naming quotes lends credence to the fact that these ideas *are* real and are in circulation.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA