Re: Index management

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_tbigpond.nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 14:01:05 GMT

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:409a3cc2$0$25657$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> As an aside, Burleson has an article on whether to rebuild indexes at
> www.dbazine.com. It's an interesting read, largely because it comes to
> no conclusions (which is progress from him).

Hi Howard,

I actually went to some considerable trouble (again) to write directly to Don when this article first came out. I highlighted for him all the numerous errors and inconsistencies that the article contained and offered suggestions on how to rewrite the thing. Note it was a long, long detailed list of suggestions. He initially responded by saying opps, they published the wrong version, only for the second version be just as appalling. Subsequent suggestions were totally ignored so I simply gave up on it all.

In fact, part of my motivation (all be it a small part) for my Oracle Index Internals paper was to try and write a document that was the exact opposite to Don's. I wanted it to be technically accurate, I wanted it to be relatively detailed, I wanted it to make conclusions that were proven and demonstrable, I wanted to have simple demos that were easy for others to copy and apply in their own situations, I wanted it to motivate others to explore and experiment and make their own *valid* conclusions about indexes.

I feel very comfortable with anyone who wishes to compare the two ;)

Cheers

Richard Received on Thu May 06 2004 - 09:01:05 CDT